Heleen Dominka

before_image
BEFORE
after_image
AFTER
Name: Heleen
Surname: Dominka
Location: Paarl, Western Cape
Entry Date: Jun 30, 2020
Category: DIY
Project: Kitchen

About the Project:

In 2012 we were lucky enough to buy the home of our dreams. Literally. We had driven past our house multiple times in previous years. Seeing the potential, wishing it would go on the market. It is in the heart of Paarl where the houses are seldomly for sale. One Sunday as we were driving…

Read More

In 2012 we were lucky enough to buy the home of our dreams. Literally. We had driven past our house multiple times in previous years. Seeing the potential, wishing it would go on the market. It is in the heart of Paarl where the houses are seldomly for sale. One Sunday as we were driving through Paarl our wishes came true – there was a for sale sign on the fence! The asking price was well below the market trends because it was in serious need of some attention. We loved this fact because we could make it our own and would not be paying for parts that had already been renewed, but not to our liking. We had our dream. We had our blank canvas.

We started by making it habitable during the latter part of 2012 we moved in in January 2013. Since then we are always working on some or other project at the house. But life also happened in the meantime. We moved in as a family of 3 and now the house is bustling with the love and laughter of 4 children. We love our larger than average family, but it does not leave a lot of DIY time for a working couple and the kitchen always remained on the to do list.

While 2020 has brought lots of changes and challenges it also gave us the gift of five uninterrupted weeks of lockdown. We made the most of it and while working from home, taking care of 4 youngsters, cooking, cleaning and laundry we took the leap we had discussed so many times before – we painted our dated kitchen!

We removed all doors, washed them with sugar soap and gave them a light sand. Then we painted them. The white took three layers and the grey two layers for a proper coat. The cabinet frames received the same treatment. We used some of the Plascon Wallseal paint we had left over from painting the outside of the house. This worked so well! It is an easy paint to work with and does not need a sealant.

We replaced the silver hardware of the cabinets with black ones and installed a new black faucet. I also repurposed a over the door hook, that was bought for our bathroom remodel that we did not use, to hang our dish towels on.

Our ceiling is concrete so it was a challenge to get electrical cables to the center of the room to hang our new spider chandelier. As a solution we put water pipes on the roof as a channel. The new bright light made a big difference to the ambiance of the room.

I also used two old picture frames to put up some Harry Potter art.

The makeover has refreshed our kitchen. It is lighter and appears more modern even though we spent very little money. Just heaps of patience and hard work.

Budget Breakdown:

Materials:
Paint
560
New black handles
255
New black nobs
210
New light
1000
Water pipe for electric cables
400
New black faucet
690
Colour changing wall clock
399
Blind
2000
Recycling dustbin
900
6414

Contractors:

0
Grand Total
R6414